The Anycubic Photon uses digital light processing (DLP) 3D printing which is a lot different than Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM). Instead of thermoplastic on a spool, SLA 3D printers use a photopolymer liquid resin. The resin is placed in a vat and cured by a UV light source causing it to harden and form into a solid object. The process is done layer by layer.
DLP produces extremely detailed prints. They are best used for printing miniatures, jewelry prototypes and other items that require extreme precision and accuracy.
If you look at the image above, the FDM print has many more print actifacts / bumps than the SLA printer.
However, SLA printers are limited by their maufacturing bed size. The Photon has a build size of 115mm x 65mm x 155mm.
Please watch this excellent review of the Photon here.
Please watch this video on resin safety here.
If you need a larger build size, then have a look at the AnyCubic Chiron which is an excellent FDM style printer with a build size of 400mm x 400mm x 450mm.
● Printing Technology: LCD-based SLA 3D Printer
● Light-source : UV integrated light（wavelength 405nm）
● XY DPI : 47um (2560*1440)
● Layer resolution: 25 ~ 100um
● Printing speed: 20mm/h
● Rated Power: 40W
● Printer size: 220mm*200mm*400mm
● Printing volume: 115mm *65mm *155mm (4.52″*2.56″*6.1″)
● Printing material: 405nm photosensitive resin
● Connectivity: USB Port